Youth Council & Listen2Us
We are proud to have opportunities for young people to get involved in both local and national decision making in Dumfries and Galloway through our Regional Youth Council and Champions Board Project!
The Youth Participation and Engagement Strategy 2018 - 2021 lays out how young people can get involved in decision making in Dumfries and Galloway.
Dumfries & Galloway Youth Council
The Youth Council is a youth-led organisation made up of 35 young people:
- 4 Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (MSYPs)
- 24 Ward Youth Councillors (2 per Ward area for the region)
- 7 Nominated Youth Councillors elected to represent marginalised groups who are often not heard in decision making including;
- Young Parents
- Young Carers
- Care Experienced Young People
- Ethnic Minority Youth
- Gypsy/Traveller Youth
- LGBT Youth
- Young People with Additional Support Needs and Disabilities.
To view the work of the 2019 - 2021 Youth Council, check out their update report:
At the bottom of this webpage, you will find links to find out:
- Who your local Ward Youth Councillor, MSYP and Nominated Youth Councillors are
- How you can get involved
- What the Youth Council have been up to and their priorities moving forward
Champions Board Project
The Champions Board Project is specifically aimed at young people aged 12-25 who are care experienced. If you're wondering what care experienced means, Who Cares? Scotland describes it as being looked after by someone else - maybe foster carers, or in a residential home, or by a relative that's not your mum or dad. It could also be that you live with mum/or dad but you have a social worker or that you are adopted. It's when other people look after you or help your mum or dad to look after you.
We have a project called Listen2Us which is a group of over 20 young people from across Dumfries and Galloway who want to make changes on behalf of care experienced young people. They volunteer their time to raise awareness of young people's experiences to the people who make decisions about and deliver services for young people.
For more information on the work of the Champions Board, including local groups, check out our Champions Board Page
Want to know more?
You can also keep up to date through our social medias @YouthCouncilDG or @YOUTHWORKDG
Youth Democracy opportunities are supported by Dumfries & Galloway Council's Youth Work Team.